What are they?
Blisters are painful, fluid-filled lesions produced by friction and pressure.
What causes them?
- ill fitting footwear
- stiff shoes
- wrinkled socks against skin
- excessive moisture
- foot deformities
How can I prevent them?
- Keep your feet dry and toenails short
- Always wear socks or the right size to prevent wrinkling
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting footwear
- Control excessive moisture using a foot deodorant if necessary
- Check your feet regularly and treat a blister as soon as it forms
Act immediately upon pain or friction on the foot, applying padding or a waterproof plaster to cover the area.
If a blister does occur, do not pop it. Most foot blisters clear up within three to seven days if further excessive friction is avoided. However, if your blisters have not cleared up within three weeks it is advised that you make an appointment with a chiropodist.
Blisters can become a more serious concern if you have diabetes and may not heal so easily. If you have diabetes you should make an appointment to ensure your blisters are healing properly.
To book an appointment at Boston Spa Chiropody Practice call 01937 842058 today.